Monday, June 18, 2012

Day off for an update


We can hardly believe it, but we have today OFF. We get to stay on campus (unless you want to take the bus and subway into Shanghai for more shopping--and we ran away from that option). This is truly our first day off since we landed in Shanghai. Last night we got back to campus at 11:30 after:
  •  visiting the Port of Shanghai, 
  • visiting a private orphanage / medical intervention facility for abandoned children who have special needs, 
  • lunch out on our own (an experience I'll relate in another post --positive but challenging--even with pictures on the menu), 
  • an open market visit, 
  • night life in the French Concession, 
  • and back on the bus at 10:15 for the long trip home.

It was a very interesting day, but first let me start with this morning. See the photo of my teddy bear mug (with coffee), a STARBUCKS chocolate muffin (note the bag from Starbucks to confirm the purchase) and my computer opened to email. 



Email is my only connection to the people I have left behind. Great start to a day. I ate an apple earlier, which I had saved from a hotel visit and protected from the dorm mice by hanging it up high. We did the same last night with our muffins. We used a clothes hanger to put the muffin sack out of reach from what we thought were mice (I have seen the evidence). 

Last night at about 11:50 p.m., however, there was horrific screaming two doors down, and I went outside to see what was going on. Two of our girls had discovered a RAT in the room.  There was much commotion, then some boys to the rescue, then their retreat. One brave guy grabbed a broom and a shoe and the hunt continued. Girls on the beds and in the chairs, boys running down the hall (they hate rats), and the rat hiding in spots we didn't even know were accessible. Finally, the culprit was cornered and disposed of. Triumphant march of the dead rat down the hall, and then more screams as his companion came out to start the chase all over again. Such is life!  

I haven't written about the mosquitoes because, frankly, I think we have all become used to them and opted for mosquitoes instead of the electric mosquito killers putting out vapors of some kind. The rat adventure provided for a little variety in night life in the dorm, but in case those two guys (the rats) had friends who loved Starbucks muffins, Susan and I elevated our breakfast treats to be out of reach for all but the most acrobatic little rodents. 

Note too the photo of my NEW red shoes.


 Well, not mine really! With only one week left in China, you make the connection. I'm stepping out like a big girl. 

We toured the GM and VW plants on Wednesday and I found the car of my dreams. Of course everyone else rushed to have photo ops with the Cadillac, but I'm finding my balance in a slower pace. 


 The port at Shanghai (busiest port in the world) was evidence of all the MADE IN CHINA goods that come to our local Walmart. Ye gads...containers everywhere. It was too overwhelming for my photos to capture, but I tried. 

 

We got to go into the control room and watch dozens of computer panels showing cargo, ships, destinations, and tracking. Think a major air traffic control center except with ships and truck containers and large robotic lifts and the miles of stacked containers. This was possible only after we crossed a 32 kilometer suspension bridge ("Don't think bridge and water! Don't think bridge and water.")

Our highlight of the day was not more shopping, even though that was included. It was an hour plus visit to the Shanghai Healing Home. It's an American couple (from New Orleans) who work with local Chinese Children's Welfare institutes by providing medical care to abandoned babies with special needs. It was simply incredible. The husband and wife (non-denominational faith-based ministry) have a large house (19 babies in residence now) and they do pre- and post op care for the children and arrange for their medical needs to be met. They have one caregiver for every three babies and what is even better is that they hire migrant women from the provinces to be "mothers" to these children and train them in pre- and post medical care. 

Most of the children are eventually adopted, except a few who come in with no identification (the equivalent of our SS number), so are "invisible" and can't be processed for adoption. I was really impressed with the energy and enthusiasm of Christina, the director. She and her husband have three children of their own (they go to a public school nearby--the youngest is almost 4--and they speak fluent Chinese and English). We collected almost $400 to give to them when we left, and I certainly want to do more to help when I get back home. I have included a few photos of the visit. Our students were really taken by the children. 


Well, I have to do laundry and preliminary packing for our Monday night departure on the night train (10 hours) for Beijing. I also have two assignments to turn in today and a final exam on Monday morning. Let's not forget the academic part of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment