Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Thoughts on food - and towels


Well, my days are blurring together.  Tai Chi was good. I videotaped the teacher after the class was over doing his whole routine alone so I could practice. He wanted to see the video (on my iPod), and when it was over, he was very excited. I don't think he had ever seen himself on video before. I am giving him a copy tomorrow. There were many exchanges of "shie-shie" ("thank you") on both our parts. Now, I will not worry so much about being a klutz in the class, and he can watch himself on DVD.

Breakfast was wonderful this morning. Juzi (oranges) and a great new pizza-like bread with sesame seeds. There was ORANGE JUICE too! And the best--boiled peanuts. See me eating with my little chopsticks? One peanut at a time.



Language class was exciting. Lots of talk about fruits and vegetables and more numbers and more everyday items. Several of us asked one of the student counselors at the break how to say "I need a towel."  We have it now and will head to the market tomorrow no matter what. 

I hate to dwell on food, but lunch was great too. Since we are not going anywhere for the travel experience, we are all finding thrills in whatever is at hand. Super bok choy and some leafy greens...rice (always), eggplant, and bean sprouts. I was a happy camper. In case you haven't figured out the pattern, I have gone to the vegetarian side of life. Perhaps it was the chicken feet and heads that made me turn the corner. I had been headed that way at home (with the occasional burger and a bite of chicken), but this seemed like a good route to take. 

I will try fish, but today's featured fish lunch item surprised people with dozens of small bones. Let's just say there were some awkward moments until the word got out to beware of the bones. Again, the soupy dish had some meat we couldn't identify, so the serving bowl was as full at the conclusion of the meal as it had been at the beginning. Even the young guys, who are game to try almost anything, passed on that one.

I've been promoting the green tea ice cream, so lots of folks headed to the 7-11 (yes, it is a real 7-11) downstairs from the cafeteria for green tea ice cream dessert bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment