Friday, June 15, 2012

Off to the Port of Shanghai


This trip has given me an up close and personal look at the growth going on here. Every block and square mile has some kind of major construction and most of the Fortune 500 companies have set up shop over here in the new Wuxi Business District we visited earlier. Lots of potential for customers and a relatively cheap labor base. 

Yesterday we toured the Shanghai General Motors Plant and then the VW Plant, which was pretty impressive.  This morning, the bus pulls out of the parking lot at 8 a.m. and heads for the Port of Shanghai, the busiest seaport in the world. We get to see it all.   

I promise I won't wander off the path and get stuck on a ship leaving Shanghai! Should be fun to see, though. Then we step back in time and culture and go to visit an orphanage / hospital for babies and children with cleft palates. I'm a little nervous about this visit. The migrant school brought us all back to the reality of class and economic divisions in China. I'm sure this will be more of the same. Lots of talk about the one child policy. Food for thought as I snap photos of parents and their children. 

This evening we are staying in Shanghai until about 9 p.m. for looking around and a market visit. Here's proof that I am still alive and well and smiling: a photo from the martial arts school of me with weapons and also a photo of a crazy umbrella hat!



No comments:

Post a Comment